Who loves eggnog?
If you also enjoy ice cream, and have an ice cream machine, this recipe is for you! In fact, even if you’re not crazy for eggnog itself, but appreciate the warm spices associated with it, you’ll like this ice cream. The texture is so smooth and luscious, and the cinnamon and nutmeg flavours really shine.
Yes, you need an ice cream machine to churn this mixture, but both the ingredients and the steps are simple.
Eggnog and Spice Ice Cream INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
Eggnog and Spice Ice Cream METHOD
- combine the cream, eggnog, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and cinnamon stick in a small pot; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through but do not bring it to a boil
- combine sugar and egg yolks and mix well
- add 1/2 cup of the warmed eggnog and cream mix to the egg and sugar mixture and whisk to combine; add that new mix to the remaining warmed eggnog & cream mixture and return to the stove.
- continue cooking over medium-low heat for 5-7minutes, stirring, until the mixture is thick enough to pass the spoon test: coat the back of a spoon with the warm mixture and swipe your finger through; if the line stays put, it’s ready; if the liquid fills that finger space right away, keep cooking.
- remove the cinnamon stick; pour into your ice cream machine and churn for 20-25 minutes, as per your machine’s instructions. You may need to freeze the finished ice cream for an hour to fully set before scopping. Again, these specifics vary from machine ot machine. Makes approx. 2 cups of ice cream.