Have you had enough shawarma from me already? I know, this is my third shawarma post lately!
So I’ll be quick: Shawarma-spiced baked cod with lemon.
This is a simple, flavourful FAST dinner you can prepare any night of the week. You’ll need the dry spice mix I’ve told you about before, mixed with olive oil, to marinate the fish, then just quickly bake with lemon and you’re finished.
I serve it with rice or flatbreads, a yogurt ‘sauce’ (salt, fresh, chopped parsley, and lemon juice stirred through some plain yogurt), and a crisp chopped salad.
Most times, I marinate the fish for the afternoon or even overnight, but, honestly, you could just mix the spices with oil, pour it over the fish and pop it into the oven. The flavour won’t have penetrated the fish, but it will still be good.
Shawarma-Spiced Cod INGREDIENTS
- .5 kilo/1 lb of cod, or other firm white fish like halibut or haddock (I usually cut 2 fillets into 4 pieces before cooking, or gently cut the cooked pieces with the spatula when I transfer them from the baking pan to the serving plate)
- 2 tbsp shawarma spice mix
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, divided: cut half the lemon into thin slices and the remaining half into wedges, for serving
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Shawarma-Spiced Cod METHOD
- Combine the shawarma spice mix and olive oil to make the marinade
- Put the fish pieces into a bowl or baking dish; pour the marinade over and turn the pieces so all sides are coated; Cover the dish and refrigerate for 2 hours, or up to overnight.
- Place the lemon slices on a baking pan in one layer and lay the fish over top, pouring any remaining marinade from the dish over the top.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes; the fish will easily flake with a fork when it is done, and will probably start to separate a little as it cooks, without your even using a fork to check.
- Carefully transfer the cooked fish to a serving dish, along with some of the lemon slices; pour any liquid in the pan over the fish & lemon. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve with the lemon slices.